Friday, June 1, 2018

VROC WWR XII Williams AZ

Before I begin, hafta tell Ya about an interesting "lesson" I learned,.... 

You've heard the line... "it's the journey  not the destination" many times... I finally really experienced the true meaning...   Wife and I took a cage / car trip in April, she wanted to see some of the things I'd seen a few times, and she couldn't come along...

Visit son in Reno, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns (AND THE )@#)$*%!*#)$%ING ELEVATORS WERE DOWN!!!!  ... GEEZ...) and general run-amuck...

So no scoot, cage and on the road..... I'll guess about day 3 it hit me.... in a cage, you are truly looking forward to the destination... you go along, and insulated from the world around you and you basically zone out for the trip...  

NOT so on a scoot!!!  It is interesting, entertaining and relaxing, basically seeing the world from a chair...  

So YES, I'm SSSSOOOOO ready for a road trip!!!  On the Road Again... sing it Willy!!!!!

Blog is top to bottom, text for a pic is under it, click on a pic for a larger one...

When Ya get to the bottom of Skid and Sherm blogs, click on "older posts" bottom right!!! for more!!!  Their blogs are most current to older pics!!!   Mine is oldest to newest!

Great blogs:   Skid Williams, Az        Skid Topaz Lake    
Sherm's Williams, Az    .. go down about 6 pics to begin Williams...   Sherm's Blog   Topaz Lake

6/25 added Wild Rose's blog:  Wild Rose Blog  

For some reason... age, I'll guess... sigh..   it' seems like forever since I've been on a road trip and to say I'm ready....  WOW!!!  Boy Howdy!!!!!!!

My Google map, click on it and look around!!! This is general, there are side trips...

My run-amuck  I also get to check off Death Valley from my Bucket list!!!




Always start off with a pic at home!!!!  On the road again... sing it Willy!!!


I went down the center of KalEfornYa,   Middle of the road trip (click on the link for map)

By time I got to Hackberry, Az on ol' 66 I figured it was time to get into "tourist" mode and take some pics...  The spot in front of the ol' pumps was open.... Gina lookin' rite fine!!!


... lots'a ol' stuff around....


... poor hippies...  GBG


Real nice lookin' rat rod!!!  IIRC, the owner cars actually are runners!  He used to have a Vet up here....


Real nice rod...


I made it to Williams, Az... and it even looks like a motorcycle rally!!!  GBG


Lets see, why was I here... oh, yeah, Wolfman Wondering Rally!!!   He was one of the first VROC (Vulcan Riders and Owners Club) founders, and left us in a scoot wreck in '06 and we've had annual meetings in his name since...  We pick places all over the country.



Gee, what to do in Williams... oh... go down to the train station and go to the Grand Canyon!!!  Skid, Sherm & Pat, Sandy


Sherm, Skid in pic and Sandy... 


We had to watch a show before the train took off...


Yeah, the sheriff won...  jumped on the train and away we went!!!  We had a great ... OK, don't know what to call 'er, she was our car leader and entertained us with facts, points of interest and told us what to do when... while at the Grand Canyon.


The first thing she said to do was go direct to the restaurant and it really was a good one, and get in before it filled up, and yes, it was great advice!!!!  Hafta say, taking pics into light didn't work too well....


After lunch, just outside, there was an Indian show..


Why are we there???  Oh, yeah, a really big hole!!!!


See that green area < at the bottom?  Now if'n Ya want to walk down a few thousand feet, Ya can camp overnite...  yeah, guess what Ya get to do the next day???!!!!!!  No thanks..... 


Indian building / store..


... and yes... this big hole was an obstacle to some things...




Skid was proud, he is "altitude" challenged and set on the edge...


The train left us right by the rim, all we had to do was climb these steps... we are on the way back at this time....  headed for the train...
.

We found a nice shady place to wait for our time to board....


A photog lady too our pic on the way... yes, she wanted big bucks, but what the heck... it's just the kids inheritance!!!   GBG   This is a pic of a pic... best I could do...


... and YES, it was robbery!!!  I say!!!!


Even the ladies got stuck up.............


The next day folks were doing various things, and Wolf and I decided to do a 89/89A loop thru Sedona, Jerome, Prescott, and back thru Ash Fork to Williams...  

Map 89 / 89A Loop  The temps at Williams were great... but once we started down... it warmed right up!!!  A few times, down right toasty!!!


Sedona main street traffic, we had a rest stop and ice cream.


The street was at a decent angle!!!  We asked a shop lady where a good spot to get a bite was...


J is for Jerome, Az   Jerome, Az  wikipedia link.....  @5000 ft


... she said this was a good place...   1 hour wait... no thank you very much!!!  .... so we went..


here and it was relatively empty and had a good sandwich...


Everything was a flight or two of stairs to get there...


Yes, it was a runner and I think he made a few bucks by giving rides..


We stopped a ways outta Jerome.. yes, we were still going up...  think we got to @7K.....


This is how we spend our evenings... telling tall... stories?  GBG  We really do have a great time visiting!  Mal, Mad Kaw and Bucky...


Sandy and Wolf..


The group.... as time passes, our groups are getting smaller, and we get to visit a lot more, I think... Good times!!!


All things must end... turn out the lights....  on the way out I stopped at an interesting place...


OK, truth... us old farts hafta plan our stops!!!!  My next stop was Kanab, Ut...


Parry Lodge   and if you're ever in the area, look it up!!!  They used to host all the actors while they were on site for movies....    they even named some rooms... I got Robert Preston


It really is a pretty motel!  Been around for quite a while...


Trees and open areas...


Boy Howdy, the party's held around that barn!!!   I think they still show old time movies inside in the evening.


Interesting story, John Wayne was here, asked at the desk where the pool was, they said they couldn't afford one, he said "will Ya put one in if I pay for it"....  yeah, that one....


Out my window... 


Next stop was Pahrump, Nv.... interesting shot out this window!!!


Link to Amargosa Opera House  Next day was Death Valley... I'd been warned by some folks that have been there... so I was up a tad earlier and on the road a bit before 7... 

This at Death Valley Junction 127 / 190 and a lady operated this place....  and was the star performer...


...  motel....


My next planned stop was Badwater Road...  that goes out to the lowest place...


Well, when I got there, it was already getting quite warm and ....


Badwater Basin is @15 miles that way... it was @115f and I did NOT see the need to spend another hour making the trip and letting it warm up a tad more!!!  GBG   

Wikipedia link    Death Valley   Death Valley's Badwater Basin is the point of the lowest elevation in North America, at 282 feet (86 m) below sea level


Gas stop at Stovepipe Wells... I think my temp gage was @115...  yes, sand dunes!!!!!


Gas and bathroom break....  after that the road started up.... to @7K!!! ... and life got MUCH better!!!!


June Lake, Ca   google link, a very nice little community!   Loop 158 off 395 a few miles south of Lee Vining, Ca  home of Whoa Nelly Delly!!!!  I always stop there when going over Tioga Pass... 

See the white, center left?  That is a rushing waterfall!!!!  I had just passed thru June Lake.  I took it clockwise and had just passed thru the town...  



I guess it's the time'a year, and 395 needed some major repairs.


There was a nice stream next to 395 and this was a day use area... yeah, had a bathroom, sigh...


Made it to Topaz Lake, Nv and it is JUST across the state border!  I took this because of the cottonwood trees, click on the pic and look at all the white spots, it looked like it was snowing!!!!


I took this one for Josh, he set up camp along the left shore on his first VROC rally here, and the wind really howled!!!  He went back to find his camp spread all over...  found a room to stay in that night!!!


I arrived a day early at topaz, and so did MacGuy and his grandson... so we took a ride.   Our route took us along Wilson Canyon and the water was flowing well.


Mac Guy and G'son like to hike, I was about to find out...  thought they were looking for a good place to take a pic...


Well, they kept on going!!!!  I went back and took some pics...


Standing on the metal tubes and see thru grates, along with the rushing water kind'a messed up my balance a bit and I focused on the walk path!!





They kept on climbing!!!!  


We mounted up and continued our route down 338 to Bridgeport and Rhino's for lunch.  Rhino's Bar and Grill  (link)  Took a couple pics along the way... Not bad for poor barren desert Nevada, eh?  Beautiful road!!!!


Any way Ya look at it!


Had a great ride and back at Topaz Super 8... other folks started showing up, I'll guess we had about 20 in our little rally.  Not too many so we could really visit and have a good time!!!


Starting to look like a scoot rally!!!


Mongrel and wife Donna arriving... he was riding an '05 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic with @120K.. and outside Flagstaff the driveshaft transfer gears and lower left of the motor burned almost out... the scoot is sitting in Flagstaff waiting for pickup and they both are on the Spyder. The Spyder is Donna's scoot... I won't tell Ya who was riding second seat...  GBG


Next day, we're off to Heidi's in Lake Tahoe for brunch.   Oh, gee, road construction, sigh... that means pic taking time!!!  Well, we had our brunch, you can see many pics in Sherm and Skid blogs, and after that we were off riding...


Over Mt Rose and on to Virginia City!!!


Rest and regroup, a few of us headed towards the what was to be closed rest rooms, and we had to make sure they were closed in back also... har...


Arriving in Virginia City.


The old timer hit Skid and I up for a buck to feed his sweet ass....  Skid has a pic of me huggin'er up after the donation...  


Well, it's written somewhere, I'm sure, when in Virginia City, ya hafta have an ice cream cone!!!  This is the group after the treat.


Sherm, Nite Lite and Linda.


And then onto the oldest bar in Nevada and it is in Genoa.    Link to Genoa Genoa, Nv








They were doing a great business...  IIRC there was -1- person behind the bar!!!


Next day it was on to Markleeville, Ca for Ice Cream!!!  It was closed, sigh,  we haven't been here for 7 years and I guess they couldn't make a go of it!!!  GBG  

This IS VROC, ride to eat, so our thoughts turned to ... yup, lunch!!!  



Across the street, used to be a good place... closed.. sigh... so we focused on the place across the street from this place!!!  They had good sandwiches and we were good!


We also took up all their seats!!!  Nite Lite, Linda, Sherm,  Mongrel, Skid and Sandy.


Different faces.....


Phil Terry and I had the window seat.    Phil wanted to do a side trio to Grover Hot Springs after lunch, he had been there during camping trips in the past....  the only worrisome part was...  "I think it's this way...."  the think bothered me!! GBG


Hot Springs side trip outta Markleeville, Ca  Grover Hot Springs map link,
About Grover Hot Springs Park  Real pretty area....





On the way back 89 over Moniter Pass to our motel, I had to take another pic, that valley goes on forever!!!


Friday they had the center parking lot taped off, found out why on Sat am as I was leaving.    Swap meet time!!!!


Headed home, went back over 89, Moniter Pass, very nice road!!!!  Had to stop and take a pic  almost to Markleeville,  the stream was real nice!


Gorgeous country!!!!  Over to 88 and Carson Pass, it was @8600'  and on to Pine Grove to 88 Giant Burger!!!  Its on the east side'a town, north side of the road, if you're looking for a good hamburger!!!  I don't know if they sell anything else!!!  GBG   Serious.....

On down 88 and back into traffic jams... sigh..  but I did make it home @1630...  

Now what's next........  hasta be something.... somewhere.....  GBG  On the road again!!! Sing it Willy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment