Tuesday, July 13, 2021

VROC - WWR XIV - Montrose, Co


                                                                      Group photo


Route to:  Route to Montrose  and had to get back!  Trip home

Pics are from top to bottom.  Click on a pic for a larger one, text for a pic is under it...

Time for another get together!!!!  Montrose, Co this time and Mal/Vette are doing the honors!!

@2500 miles RT and a few days, the heat has made it a tad rough....   GBG



Ok, I'm not a selfie guru...   GBG  Wife was helping DIL and not home....


First stop was Hackberry, AZ.  It's a must stop out on old 66!  Lots of old stuff!  And yes it was closed as I was passing thru on the 4th weekend...


Nice fixer upper!!!  


A little polish and ready to go!!!


The old pumps and a great price!!!


The trip to Durango, Co was uneventful, tad boring until....  ya see I was riding down I-40 towards Flagstaff and I had a pretty good rain storm!  I was thinking, It's July and I'm headed to Flagstaff, Az and its starting to get cool!!!!  .... and I laughed and laughed...  


Proof I took the train!!!  


The train!


The other end!!!   GBG


And away we go!!!!


... thru hill and dale....


We finally head uphill.


One of our river crossings...


The water was an easy look,  nice and peaceful!





A focal point even!!!   GBG





Nice shot of the train.


We did NOT set any speed records... I think 20-25 was max!!! But we were NOT in a hurry!!!  I like to say, I'm not in a hurry, I know where I'm headed and NOT in a hurry to get there!!!!   GBG


Pic of the countryside...





Coming into Silverton...


See that dark cloud?  Yeah, it follows me!!!   GBG


So we DID have 2 Loco's...   When I got off the train, I asked the conductor where I could get a good pulled pork sandwich, I'd had my fill of hamburgers!!!   He said  "The Pitts"!!!  And off I went...


It really was good!!!!  The tables were full and I shared on with a couple from Oakland!!!  They had heard about this place on the Food Channel!!!  Guess it really was good!!!


Remember that  cloud???  The pane says it all...   oh, well, it was dry inside...


I got a great river shot on the way back!!  The train did a turn around at Silverton so I got the return view.  It WAS a bit of a straight down pic!!!!


Next day it was on to Montrose....  The countryside was real nice!!!











This was at a rest stop near the top, IIRC, we did get a bit over 11,000'...


Looking down at Silverton from the road...


And we get to our motel!!! Yes, it's a Kawasaki group, (Kawasaki) Vulcan Riders and Owners Club (VROC) and yes I ride a Kawasaki '03 Voyager.  Nice little inline 4 and hums right along!!!


Sherm and Lanny having a chat after Lanny doing a wash down... the bike...  GBG


I had a decent room, did fine for my stay!!!


Just some pics of our layout... the scoot in the center belongs to a new member, like she joined a day or 2 ago!!!!    














A good part of what we do best is sit and yak...   GBG  Visiting is a good thing!!!





I think we had about 35 folks...  nice group and they were from all over!!!





This is Nash's beauty!!!!  He had it made!!! Real nice Indian!!!





Listen up!!!  Those rockers are great!!!  They are glider type rockers and have their own platform and can sit anywhere and give you a nice smooth rock!!!  Even have a "cup" holder!!!  Just do a Amazon search for a general idea!!!


Old friends doing their miss your skit, walk right on by!!!  GBG  Came back and made up for it!!!





So just before I left, I noticed my chaps were almost torn in half at a seam in the back... sigh.. Will offered to help me... note: only one set of hands here....   GBG I had some zip ties and we were off...


Artwork!!!!  Think they will last!!!  Don't see any reason to mess with'm!!!  That stitching across the top was all that was holding on....


... just visiting...


Dave and Eric in deep thought...


Bill was giving Vette and Mal a plaque for hosting the WWR event, to keep for the year.  WWR - Wolfman (famous VROC and founding member) Wandering Rally,  he died on a ride 14 years ago  and we have rides across the country in his honor.

And on the right side was the mad ticket team of Hailey and Mikey!!!   They did great!!!



... as the song goes... all good things must end sometime... turn out the lights....  and I was on my way back...  Coming south on 550 from Montrose to Ridgeway - right on 62 and down to catch  145 into Cortez.. went thru come nice country!!!!!  Down right gorgeous!!!!!

I DID have an interesting time at my Kanab, Ut stop... got into town @ 1700 and the power was out... it came on @ 2000 and it was @105 when I came into town... sigh....


Old train station  in Caliente, Nv.  Took it for Don VSP, we stopped there .... IIRC... har... '10 on a run to Cortez...  Got into Tonopah, Nv and was one tuckered dude!!!!  

Hit the rack real early to get ready for the last leg!  Over the Giggle road (120 between Benton and Lee Vining) named for the belly thumpers, real serous belly flops!!!!  There are places I can't hold the throttle!!!  I can't see what's on the other side until on top of the hill!!!!!

And as I sat at the bottom of the hill looking for my park pass, that I did NOT find!!!  I wasn't going to go any other way, so up the hill to Tioga Pass!!!!  Get up to the top and this ranger asked me where I was headed, and I said Manteca, and he tore off a piece of paper, handed it to me and said if anyone stops you, tell'm I said it was OK!!!!  And I have NO clue why!!!  But I took the piece of paper, and was gone... until....



... yeah, even in Jellystone!!!!!   GBG  Seriously, most of the road has been replaced with new!!!  Just some construction left...   And on to San Jose!!!!  And the wester I went, the cooler it got and life was good!!!!  Onward!!!!

Great Rally and folks!!!!  ... now... what's next....   GBG  On the Road again... sing it Willy!!!!!

2 comments: