Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Carlsbad Caverns   

Made a couple side visits on the way to Taos, the Roswell stuff was big when I was a kid so had to go see the plastic models, FWIW....  Then on to Carlsbad!  

If you have a bucket list, MOVE THIS TO THE TOP!!!!   OK, this place is "cavernous"!!!!  Huge even!!!  GBG

Take some comfortable walking shoes and  something to satisfy 58 deg!!!  You are about 800' down and it's pretty constant...    It took me about 3 hours, and I was NOT in a hurry!    I think I was the first in on a Monday, I got to unlock the door!  Yup, almost scary quiet!!!   It's real dark in there, and it's ramp walking, not steps, mostly flat...

After the elevator ride up and lunch, I looked for things to do while there and the guide said to walk down the "natural entrance", a cave, down a walking ramp 15 - 20% grade for 1 1/4 mile...  checks the ol' legs out!!  I got good 'uns, so off I went!  Even at my condition, my legs complained a tad the next day!!!

Had a great time, traveled @3K miles, traveled some heat but a very nice trip was had!!!

Made Carlsbad Caverns a special blog onto itself, it deserved it and a lot of the trip pics....

Click on a pic for a much larger pic.... no text, just a lot of pics!  Hope you enjoy!
































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment