Sunday, August 11, 2013

VROC - WWR VII Logan, Ut

Link to my planned trip, hope it works this time, come back thru Jellystone!!!

Link to/from Logan, Ut 

Sherm's excellent blog 

Lanny's excelllent blog 

Facebook link to Mal's pics 

Both Sherm and Lanny blogs are most current at the top,  go down for older posts and when at the bottom, click on older posts for previous days.  Both are very well done and worth your time!!!! 

Group ride pic on Saturday:



My pics are from top to bottom, text for a pic is under it, click on a pic for a larger pic.

Off to Logan and ride the back roads of Nv, hope all goes well this time!!!  GBG + sigh...

UTVROC folks outdid themselves - again!  Great on Ya all and thank you!!!

As the old song went, 8 days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight!  2352 miles and only trouble was 120 was closed coming out of Yosemite, had to backtrack and take 140 to Merced and across 152.  Only about 1/2 hour longer and a few more miles, not tooooo bad.


 Left on Tuesday 8/13 for my first stop in Ausin, Nv.  Interesting "little" place, had a nice queen pillow top bed and bathroom and not much else, could barely walk around the bed, no chairs/room, but got the job done for a good price.



First stop was for lunch at Caples lake, I like to take a lunch so I can enjoy places like this....

 

There were some folks set up down there and playing in the lake.

 

The way into Austin, Nv....

 

... and the way out.  The first place on the left was a great place for breakfast, much more than I could eat.


This is the motel, kinda small, but I think it was well lived in, nice folks!

 

The office, it was small but functional, unique, I like that!


Wednesday  was on to Logan, Ut.   Took 50 over to Eureka to catch 278 up to 80.  I really DO wish they would've taken the "road closed" and red tape off the entrance.. sigh...  All was fine, but very nervous about it!!!  Passed thru Wells, Nv and on to 233 which is a Great Salt Lake bypass over the northern part...   @160m with no gas stops.  Musta had a tail wind, made it in fine shape!   Crashed on Wed night, very tired, on to Thursday!  Logan!!!!! 

Thursday was very nice, no rides and I needed a rest, we all just milled around and visited.  UTVROC did a great job of feeding the group every night!!! Well way beyond the call!  Tonya and Troy brought their BBQ and made good use of it!



The Evening get together spot, excellent!  Smoke was rising!!!  Great shade, plenty of room, chairs, etc!!!


Someone getting a thumbs up from Trouble with Mal looking on...

 

'vette and CheapB looking on while the group behind was in deep discussion.    Just taking some pics of the group....



Looks like Southern Draw and JamieT are looking on...











Java John with his back to us, the UTVROC contingent having a confab....


More parking lot get together.
 

And while I was walking thru the parking lot, Jack and Barb 4E came up and Jack said, I heard there was a motorcycle rally here!  Great to see them, Barb center with her back to us.


AJ and Scorpion sittin' and pickin' at the table, great to finally meet AJ!!!

Sometime not too long after that the hotel manager came out and hushed us up, we were getting a tad lively!!!  GBG 



 Friday we met at Renegade Sports of Logan 1903 S 800 W, Logan, UT.   We visited a bit, and they brought in donuts, I call 'um do-nots, GBG   And after a visit we were off to our ride.

We went to a gas stop about 20m down the road and a couple met up with us that asked Tonya if they could ride with us.    Of course she said yes.

We took off and they were in front of me, he never got out of first, I saw the belt hit the ground and then get sucked right back up.  Yup, it busted.

We got the scoot over to a next door store and one of the UTVROC folks, the tailgunner, made some calls.  Randy/Rainman came out with CheatB's pickup and ramps to get the Victory and take it to Renegade for a new belt.

Well, when Randy got there, the ramp was kinda short and made for a 45deg angle and this is a full dresser.... To say I had my second thoughts about this was an understatement...   Well, by golly, luckily we had a few of us hang back, around 5 of us and we gave a mighty shove and up the ramp she went, right to the top...

Now a 45deg ramp is gonna give Ya a nasty pivot point..  the front of the scoot had to be lifted to get the rectifier over the lip..  a mighty lift and shove and in she went!  

Randy took off with the 2 riders and scoot and I headed back to my scoot... on the way, I asked, "who has the parking lot repairs pics?????!!!"  .... blank stares.... Dang we missed the action!  GBG  

Glad all turned out fine, no drop, no damage, mission accomplished!!!


Well, the tailgunner knew where the rest of the folks were headed to the Lava Hot Springs inner tube water rides, and off we went!  It was getting on to lunch time!
And here are the tubers!!!!


Well some of them wanted to make another run so I got camera duty, I didn't think my chaps and boots would do very well...  GBG


Jack 4E hanging onto a bush waiting for Barb to float by...



Here she comes in the yellow tube next to the bank.






If Ya look at the current it forces most folks to hit that wall.  Tonya did, with Mal in between hanging onto  her and 'vets tube.



Free at last to let life float by!  GBG



Things do get turned around, lot of pics but these are special and I wanted to add them all.




The true meaning of floaters!  GBG  Looks like they are having a great time.  I heard the water was a tad chilly... 


Here comes Troy thinking "wait for me!!!"  






This looks like the Southern Draw and Charm contingent and CheapB



.... they're breaking up!!!!  GBG



The Southern contingent coming around! 




I've been spotted!!  Great times!




Passing under the bridge....




My camera was not ready and I just caught Bucky before she went under the bridge.




Well folks got naked and changed clothes and swimming does make Ya hungry so off to lunch.

We went back to the Kaw Pasture and fun and visiting to be had.  I'd taken pics the previous nite and just left the camera alone, visited and had a great time.



Next day we did the visit to Renegade for do-nots and down the road to Bear Lake.
Group one...



Group 2.


Link to    Bear Lake

That road was made by a scoot rider!  It just swept around and the ride was gorgeous!



Nice views, but the fires, all was blueish... 


Folks at the info kiosk.



There's a lake out there, honest!



.. and on to lunch.  (someone send me the name and I'll fix this..)



.. more..



This bar operated all thru prohibition, never shut down.  Hazy said it was the oldest continuously running bar.  It was real small and they make cholesterol bombs!!!  I mean stuff the would clog the veins!  Good I'll bet tho...



Because it was so small, a lot of us headed this way to a BBQ and other stuff place, I had a great salad!

After that it was back to the Kaw Pasture and fun!  The UTVROC folks took donations for Pizza and there must have been 20 brought in!  Everyone said they were great, don't ask me, in my old age it kinda hurts the belly, sigh, sad to get old!  

It was drawing time and the 50/50 was predetermined and two great folks were VERY pleased with over $1,000 checks!!!  Great on Ya UTVROC!!!


We had a great time, lots of goodbye's and serious heartfelt great to see Ya's... This IS a family!   

Folks, If Ya don't do some rally's, you will never get to meet the best folks!!!  Do it!  Get there!!! 



This pic is for Don VSP and the folks coming back from WWR IV in Cortez.  Salina, Ut. and Mom's!  No I didn't go get one of them fat pills!!  GBG  And on to Delta, Ut.

I remember telling Skid that I may only be this way one time and want to enjoy it, well, round two!  Loved that valley from Salina to 15!



So as I was checkin' in with the wife, looking out my window. I see no left hand protector... what the heck, and I didn't notice?  Geez.... the left running light you see is zip tied on, while cleaning the safety stuff, it fell off in my hands..  glad it did it then!!!



So from Ely to Tonopah, Nv, 170+ miles of nada, I stopped here for lunch, that's why I carry lunch, any time, anywhere!


I found a picnic spot and I promise you, this IS the only one!!!!  I got to have lunch under the only shade tree here!  107 miles from Ely and 73 from Tonopah!!! The ride across Nv was Very impressive!!!  It got up to about 85 deg.... If you ever been there, by golly, you would have been amazed, especially in mid Aug!!!!!



So I pull into Tonopah, Nv and get a show right outside my window!!!  Wind, rain, double rainbow, in the middle of the desert!!!  What more can you ask for?


How about seeing where the rainbow comes down!!!

So next day off to home, 8 days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight!!  An old trucker song.




So as I'm scootin' along route 6 on the way to 120 in Benton, Ca and I see these wild life, open range signs, cows, horses, dunno what all.  Don VSP and I saw a horse headed to WWR IV and it was a beautiful animal.  I was amazed, ever horn stoopid, I honked before Don could get his camera out, and yes, he was in the middle of the road.

Well, I'm goin' down the road thru this ghost  town, I was looking around and there was a truck pulled over on my left, as I went by, he pointed to my right,  me, mister observant, sigh....  Passed right by them and didn't see them!

And if you think of altitude, I just passed over a "hill", 7127', you can get high out here!!!  

Of course, brakes and camera!!! 



Had to leave a few bucks in Benton, another stop VSP and I made, and I believe the old saying in the west is... see gas/buy gas!!!!  I should listen......

And on to rt 120 to Whoa Nelly Delly for lunch, which I had at towalame meadows.  The first part of 120 was real twisty and rose fast.  

There was a section Barb 4E nicknamed the "giggle road".  So I've been told, out in the desert when they do  a road, they blade the ground and lay it down.  Se if you go thru a  series of wash outs, you get your belly jumpers!

There was one that caused me much concern, it was real deep coming up steep and the downside was deep also, so I could NOT see the road until I was at the top and headed right back down! 



Mono lake may be dead, but large, it takes 3 pics...  -1-



-2-


- That's all folks!! - 

And on to Jellystone!!!  (Yosemite)...

There were a couple construction waits, but all in all it was a fine day, until....

There was a flashing sign where 140 goes left and 120 to the right, I wanted 120 and off I went...  right to the gate.

A sweet young lady, perspective here - she had a son that had done 2 tours in Afghanistan,  thanked me for riding with PGR, my windshield banner.

Told me I can't go that way, I don't go backwards very easy so told her where I wanted to go and she said right back up the hill and take 140 to Merced.  I didn't like that answer, but such is life!

The route was about 30m and 1/2 hour longer so not a big deal.

Beet feet for home got in around 1830.  Wife was kinda worried as she expected me earlier, I said "me too", but again, such is life.

Outstanding trip and rally!!!  Thank you AGAIN UTVROC!!!  YOU ROCK!!!!! 

































































1 comment:

  1. Excellent work, Cranky ... thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete